Episode 131: Erin Weidemann
Erin Weidemann sits down with me across our virtual kitchen table. Sometimes I meet people and its like we could be real life friends if we only lived in the same area. I felt that way about Erin. She is the co-founder and creator of Bible Belles which is a publishing company whose mission is to help girls discover real beauty, God's love, and their purpose through the female heroes of the Bible. She’s also the host of the Heroes For Her Podcast which highlights positive role models for girls today.
In this conversation, we talk about how she ended up going from a middle school teacher to running a company; why she chose to create products for young girls to help them talk about beauty and identity; how to move girls from self-doubt to purpose; raising girls in the current culture climate and how we tend to put God in a box with what He could do through us. So much goodness covered in a short period.
- Are My Kids On Trackbook & podcast
- Bible Belle's book series: HANNAH, ESTHER, ABIGAIL, RUTH, DEBORAH - 10% discount on an order from Bible Belles if you use discount code SARAH
- Heroes For Her podcast
- Scheduling everything
- Making sure she spends time outside
(Amazon affiliate links used when possible--purchasing through these links is an easy way to support the show. Or shop using www.SurvivingSarah.com/amazon and a portion of the what you buy will go back to the show.)
Takeaways From Our Conversation:
- @@A girl's confidence peaks at age 9@@ so it's important to talk about real beauty, identity and purpose earlier so that when her confidence peaks, she will be established in what is true.
- @@“God creates every girl to have a voice that matters and that includes you.”@@ Gosh, I just love that quote. One thing that defined a period of time for me was when someone told me that my voice didn’t matter. So I chose to believe them. I chose to stop writing, to stop speaking, to stop pursuing the purpose that God had laid out before me. But God created each of us with a unique voice to share with the world. A voice to share with your own tribe or your own children or your own space. Your voice matters. I hope that will be an encouragement to you today. And that is a message that I desperately want my girls to hear and hold on to as they grow.
- HEARD series:
- It starts with taking a girl from misunderstanding herself to help her take the first step it starts with prayer HANNAH
- Then, you have to then take a step in relationship and sit and wait and discern his voice ESTHER (patience)
- Next, there will be conflict in relationship (fear, rejection) so we talk about ABIGAIL (bravery)
- Then, turn the focus outward RUTH (loyalty)
- And lastly, then leadership from self doubt to what is the calling you’ve placed on my life DEBORAH
- We need to help girls understand what transparency looks like and what speaking up can be—create a culture in your own home that reflects that.
- Erin's scoop. Who was your hero growing up? her mom. What is a piece of advice that someone has given you that has been so helpful? Tribe of Mentors by Timothy Ferriss - "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards.” What can we be brave for today? If you had a secret superpower what would it be? flying
- Erin shared her "scoop" at the end of the show so let's ask the same questions. Who was your hero growing up?
- What is a piece of advice that someone has given you that has been so helpful?
- If you had a secret superpower what would it be?
- Erin and Sarah talked about emotions in the beginning of the show. Do you have any negative emotional patterns that swirl in your head? What do those patterns cause you to think, believe or do?
- Do you relate to Erin in that after college you felt lost—wondering who you are and what you are supposed to do? What did that look like?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how big is your scope of what God is doing?
- What do you think God could do through you?
- What is something you would love to do but feel like there’s no way you could do it?
- What things tend to distract you from doing what you feel you would love to do?
- What do you tend to allow to limit what you want to do?
- Which Bible Belle do you most identify with and why?What did you enjoy about this episode? What was your takeaway. Let's continue the conversation on Instagram or Twitter or you can send me an email here.
Thank you for following along life with me. I love being apart of your day. And as always, I hope this show helps you survive a little easier.
A new episode every Tuesday... just subscribe.
Subscribe for free on iTunes or Stitcher or your favorite podcast app so that you don't miss out on great conversations with women just like you. Women who are surviving and thriving. You don't have to do life alone. Be inspired, encouraged and entertained by women like Sandra Stanley, Shannan Martin, Jamie B. Golden, Mo Isom, Annie F. Downs, Joni Lay from Lay Baby Lay, Christy Nockels, Kay Warren, Suzanne Stabile and many more.
Did you enjoy today's conversation? Rate the podcast.
My goal each week is to encourage you to survive in this very thing called life. If you were encouraged or inspired or entertained, head over to iTunes and leave a brief review with a 5 star rating.
Here is a recent one from "Tricia865". She said, “I have loved every episode I’ve listened to so far. I feel like sarah is always talking to incredibly relevant, intelligent and awesome people with very relevant and helpful topics. There really is something for everyone here. I’m so addicted that I’ve started going back in time and listening to all the old ones.”
Your review will help get the podcast in front of new listeners who are just like you looking to know that they aren't alone in life. Thank you for being awesome!