Episode 125: Lynn Cowell
Author and communicator, Lynn Cowell, joins me to talk about raising girls to be both strong and nurturing women. Lynn has raised two girls who are now in their early twenties so she has a wealth of experience and knowledge to bring to the table. We talk about advice for raising girls through the tween phase, how she navigated raising girls that were different from each other, how to help girls understand that their worth comes from God, how we as moms can help foster our girls uniqueness and how to raise strong and brave women. This conversation will encourage your heart as a woman whether you have daughters or not.
- Brave Beauty by Lynn Cowell
- Make Your Move: Finding Unshakable Confidence Despite Your Fears and Failuresby Lynn Cowell
- Lynn's Proverbs 31 speaking page
- Lynn's Proverbs 31 writing page
- FabFitFun - Check out FABFITFUN.com and use the code “SS” so you can save $10 off your first box, making it only $39.99.
- Hello Fresh - Check out HelloFresh.com/Surviving30 and enter code "Surviving30" to receive $30 off your first box
Lynn's Survival Kit:
- Power Sheets by Lara Casey
(Amazon affiliate links used when possible--purchasing through these links is an easy way to support the show. Or shop using www.SurvivingSarah.com/amazon and a portion of the what you buy will go back to the show.)
Takeaways From Our Conversation:
- A girl's confidence peaks at 9 years old. Comparison happens after age 9.
- We can be careful about what we say in front of our girls. Model how to handle rejection or change in body.
- During the tween phase, be sure to tell your daughters that they are beautiful but be sure to talk about the internal beauty too. Pay more attention to what is going on in their hearts.
- Encourage your girls to not build their confidence on that thing (that they love or are good at). Our temptation will be to build our confidence on what we can do but those things can change.
- "The smaller our daughters' worlds are the harder their life becomes."
- Proverbs 31 uses a word "noble" which means WARRIOR. Girls need to know that they can be both BRAVE and NURTURING.
- Be a chain of courage for your girls. If you are scared. Do it anyways! "And if God is behind it, its gonna happen. but if not, you don’t lose, you learn." We must teach our girls to be brave enought to try. Failure is not bad. "Failure is an opportunity to learn something that you didn’t have before."
Thank you for following along life with me. I love being apart of your day. And as always, I hope this show helps you survive a little easier.
A new episode every Tuesday... just subscribe.
Subscribe for free on iTunes or Stitcher or your favorite podcast app so that you don't miss out on great conversations with women just like you. Women who are surviving and thriving. You don't have to do life alone. Be inspired, encouraged and entertained by women like Sandra Stanley, Shannan Martin, Jamie B. Golden, Mo Isom, Annie F. Downs, Joni Lay from Lay Baby Lay, Christy Nockels, Kay Warren, Suzanne Stabile and many more.
Did you enjoy today's conversation? Rate the podcast.
My goal each week is to encourage you to survive in this very thing called life. If you were encouraged or inspired or entertained, head over to iTunes and leave a brief review with a 5 star rating.
Here is a recent one from "Tricia865". She said, “I have loved every episode I’ve listened to so far. I feel like sarah is always talking to incredibly relevant, intelligent and awesome people with very relevant and helpful topics. There really is something for everyone here. I’m so addicted that I’ve started going back in time and listening to all the old ones.”
Your review will help get the podcast in front of new listeners who are just like you looking to know that they aren't alone in life. Thank you for being awesome!