Episode 69: Amanda White
Amanda White joins me for Episode 69. She is a wife, mom and former children’s pastor who is using her skills of a creative thinker in the lives of her own kids and yours. She is really great at unpacking scripture to little hearts. She is the author of The Truth In The Tinsel and A Sense of the Resurrection. She is a firm believer that no matter who you are, you don’t have to be afraid or intimidated to teach your kids Scripture. I invited her to be on the show to talk about how to anchor your kids heart to Jesus this Easter.
I hope you enjoyed my conversation with Amanda. I could have talked for hours with her about our daughters or about age appropriate books for them, but my biggest takeaway was how we should ask God to reveal to us how to talk about Jesus’ death and resurrection to our kids. That may not be a novel idea to you, but it was to me. Ask Him for wisdom with your unique kid.
Amanda is offering a coupon code for all Surviving Sarah listeners to receive 20% off the purchase of her ebook A Sense of the Resurrection. I highly recommend that you purchase it and use it with your kids or grandkids or nieces and nephews. She does such a great job of helping you anchor your kids hearts to Jesus this Easter. Go to SurvivingSarah.com/easter and then use the code SURVIVINGSARAH to receive your discount.
- Amanda's books: Truth In The Tinsel & A Sense of The Resurrection
- Amanda's blog post about books for middle grade students
- Overdrive app
- Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan
(Amazon affiliate links used when possible. Don't forget to use SurvivingSarah.com/amazon when shopping for any of your amazon needs.)
Takeaways From Our Conversation:
- Maybe someone needs to know that you haven’t peaked. God isn’t finished with you yet. I love how she used to travel and speak and do children’s ministry and then God is using those same gifts in a different way.
- When talking to your child about why they aren't allowed to read or watch certain things, I loved the example of this is too heavy for you to carry right now.
- Don’t be afraid to tell your kids about Jesus. Its okay if you don’t have all the answers. @@God has chosen you to guide your kids to Jesus@@. You don’t have to be intimidated to lead your kids.
- How do you talk to a 2 year old about Easter? Talk about it words that they understand.
- Understand your own kid. Be conscience of your kid.
- You can’t make your kids believe. Allow the Holy Spirit to do His work. Give your kids a sense of the power and glory and hugeness of the story. We are tempted to make sure our kids know all at the things. The Holy Spirit can speak to your kids even though they are little.
- Reveal to me what the best way to teach this to my child. What would really speak to them about your death and resurrection? What may work for your kid may not work for your friend’s kids.With the unique make up of my kid, show me how to talk about this.
Thank you for following along life with me. I love being apart of your day. And as always, I hope this show helps you survive a little easier.
A new episode every Tuesday... just subscribe.
Subscribe for free on iTunes or Stitcher or your favorite podcast app so that you don't miss out on great conversations with women just like you. Women who are surviving and thriving. You don't have to do life alone. Be inspired, encouraged and entertained by women like Sandra Stanley, Shannan Martin, Jamie B. Golden, Mo Isom, Annie F. Downs, Joni Lay from Lay Baby Lay, Christy Nockels and many more.
Did you enjoy today's conversation? Rate the podcast.
My goal each week is to encourage you to survive in this very thing called life. If you were encouraged or inspired or entertained, head over to iTunes and leave a brief review with a 5 star rating.
Here is a recent one from Steph Whitacre: "As a wife, soon-to-be mom, friend and mentor to high school and college age girls, I devour every episode. Sarah does an awesome job bringing in guest from various backgrounds, professions and viewpoints--and then listens thoughtfully to what they have to say. In every episode, I find practical advice I need for the immediate and preventative wisdom to avoid pitfalls in the future. If you want to know how to love yourself, your family, and others better, you need to listen to this podcast."
Your review will help get the podcast in front of new listeners who are just like you looking to know that they aren't alone in life. Thank you for being awesome!