Episode 49: Ami Shroyer
Ami Shroyer joins me for Episode 49. She is the sister-in-law to a friend of mine who contacted me about sharing Ami's story. Ami is a singer songwriter, leader of a classical conversations homeschool group and has a holistic business.
You know, since realizing that God wanted me to use my voice to push others forward, He has put people in my path and raised some things to the surface for my attention. Over the past year, I've come in contact either personally or just through social media several different women who have experienced the loss of a husband. I'm not gonna lie, I wondered why God was bringing these women to my attention. Was He preparing me to experience loss? But I believe that there are a lot of hurting women who need to hear that they are not alone--they need to hear someone say, "Me too. I understand what you are going through."
I hope that Ami's story encouraged you today. I know that talking about grief is never easy. I really loved hearing about what her friends have done to help her.
- Her daughter's post it note video tribute to her dad
- Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas
- Through The Eyes of a Lion: Facing Impossible Pain, Finding Incredible Power by Levi Lusko
- The Path of Loneliness: Finding Your Way Through the Wilderness to God by Elisabeth Eliott
- 40,000 Reasons Project Coupon Code (coming soon)
- Good Grief Coupon Code (coming soon)
- God's word
- Writing - sharpies, colorful pens, paper
- Essential Oils particularly Frankincense
- Herb collection - to work with oils; Himalaya Heart Care
- A daily latte
Takeaways From Our Conversation:
- And her advice to another hurting woman could be applied to helping cope with any hurt. She said, "@@Take time to heal. Don't isolate yourself. Find someone to help you come out from hiding@@."
- I really loved what her husband said to her: "Be and become. I am called to leverage my influence to help you be whoever you want to be and help you become who God wants you to become." Don't we all want someone to feel that way about us?
- @@We all need to surrender in the things we don't understand@@--even in things that are not traumatic. @@God is a sweet God to care for those and knows what His children need@@.
- @@What to do when a friend is grieving@@: there is a season of not being able to make a decision so not having to make decisions about food is helpful. Know what a person loves or needs that they won't do for themselves. She had friends that would remind her to take her vitamins and send text messages out of the blue. There was a group of women who started a secret sisterhood to support her--the POWER OF COMMUNITY. Her friends' husbands would help with things around her house. Continue to talk to your friend about that loved one who passed.
- It's amazing how @@even in death you can see God's sovereign hand@@. I think that was one of the biggest takeaways for me in this conversation. Things that her husband would say to her and looking back it shows how God was almost preparing the way.
- "@@Don't look for closure. Look for purpose@@."
If you have an event coming up, I would love to join you either as a speaker or host. Just fill out the contact form here.
Thank you for following along life with me. I love being apart of your day. And as always, I hope this show helps you survive a little easier.
A new episode every Tuesday... just subscribe.
Subscribe for free on iTunes or or Stitcher or your favorite podcast app so that you don't miss out on great conversations with women just like you. Women who are surviving and thriving. You don't have to do life alone. Be inspired, encouraged and entertained by women like Sandra Stanley, Shannan Martin, Jamie B. Golden, Mo Isom, Annie F. Downs, Joni Lay, Christy Nockels and many more.
Did you enjoy today's conversation? Rate the podcast.
My goal each week is to encourage you to survive in this very thing called life. If you were encouraged or inspired or entertained, head over to iTunes and leave a brief review with a 5 star rating.
Here is a recent one from Lori Lehrmann: "Surviving Sarah podcast has quickly become my new favorite. You will find authentic conversations with women just like you. Sarah definitely has a gift. You will laugh, be inspired and encouraged! So go ahead, grab a chair and scoot on up to the table!"
Your review will help get the podcast in front of new listeners who are just like you looking to know that they aren't alone in life. Thank you for being awesome!